As the leaves change colors (in other places) and a crisp breeze fills the air, it’s the perfect time to snuggle up with a good book and celebrate the joy of fall, Thanksgiving, and gratitude with your kiddos. Whether your little ones are leaf-jumping enthusiasts or budding chefs eager to help with holiday recipes, these reads will bring warmth and laughter to your homeschooling days. Here are 15 books to fill your homes with the Thanksgiving spirit:
1. “The Biggest Pumpkin Ever” by Steven Kroll
Join Clayton and Desmond in their friendly pumpkin-growing competition, perfect for teaching teamwork and cooperation.
2. “Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks” by Margaret Sutherland
A wonderful introduction to the concept of gratitude, reminding kids about the importance of being thankful.
3. “Bear Says Thanks” by Karma Wilson
Follow Bear and his friends in this charming story of sharing, friendship, and gratitude, set against a cozy autumn backdrop.
4. “The Apple Pie Tree” by Zoe Hall
Learn about the life cycle of an apple tree and enjoy the anticipation of baking a delicious apple pie.
5. “Fletcher and the Falling Leaves” by Julia Rawlinson
Dive into the enchanting world of Fletcher the fox as he tries to save his favorite tree’s falling leaves, teaching children about change and acceptance.
6. “Thank You, Omu!” by Oge Mora
Experience the heartwarming tale of generosity and community spirit in this beautifully illustrated book.
7. “The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks” by Jan and Mike Berenstain
Join the Berenstain Bears as they learn the true meaning of Thanksgiving and share moments of gratitude as a family.
8. “In November” by Cynthia Rylant
Delight in the poetic language and vivid illustrations that capture the essence of November, from cozy fires to family gatherings.
9. “The Littlest Pilgrim” by Brandi Dougherty
Follow the journey of Mini, the littlest pilgrim, as she discovers the importance of being true to oneself.
10. “Gracias, Thanks” by Pat Mora
Explore gratitude from a multicultural perspective in this bilingual book that celebrates diverse expressions of thanks.
11. “The Leaf Thief” by Alice Hemming
This whimsical tale follows the adventures of a mischievous character who can’t resist the allure of falling leaves.
12. “We Gather Together: Celebrating the Harvest Season” by Wendy Pfeffer
Learn about the harvest season’s traditions, rituals, and history from around the world, fostering an appreciation for different cultures.
13. “Pumpkin Soup” by Helen Cooper
Join Duck, Cat, and Squirrel in their delightful culinary adventures, showcasing the importance of friendship, cooperation, and, of course, pumpkin soup!
14. “The Thank You Book” by Mo Willems
Follow beloved characters Elephant and Piggie as they explore the importance of expressing gratitude in this charming and humorous story.
15. “Thanksgiving in the Woods” by Phyllis Alsdurf
Based on a true story, this heartwarming tale celebrates a community’s unique tradition of gathering in the woods for a memorable Thanksgiving feast.
These books are not just stories; they are invitations to explore the values of fall, Thanksgiving, and gratitude in a way that resonates with young hearts. So, grab a cozy blanket, gather your little readers, and “fall” in love autumn!